Friday, June 22, 2012

Kate McGarry, Girl Talk

How is it that Kate McGarry now has her fifth album out, Girl Talk (Palmetto 2152), and I am just coming to know her music? Serendipity of singers, I guess.

I don't know the others but this one sure is nice! Is it jazz? Well it's finessive vocalizing and that is one definition. More importantly to me, she has an extraordinarily beautiful, expressive, very musical voice. There are moments when I hear some of Imogen Heap's wordless vocal phasings, and maybe Chris Connor and June Christy come to mind just a tad. But that again is secondary to her immediacy.

It's her with a small band, doing some standards and such, and doing them with all she has, as the saying goes. "We Kiss in A Shadow" is lovely, as is her version of "Charade." To do an old evergreen and to make it seem new takes a musical vision, and she has it.

Whatever she does on this CD, she does it well. A wonderful singer!

No comments:

Post a Comment